Skip to main content
  1. 1. Destitution support
  2. 2. Help for people seeking asylum
  3. 3. Housing and hosting schemes
  4. 4. Support for survivors of domestic abuse

Support for survivors of domestic abuse

People with no recourse to public funds who experience domestic abuse can access the flexible fund, get information and advice from domestic abuse support services, and may be able to access short-term accommodation and financial support from the Support for Migrant Victims Scheme when they do not qualify for support from their council or the Home Office.

Funds to assist people experiencing domestic abuse

Two funds are available that provide one-off payments to assist a person to to flee from their abuser and to help a survivor of domestic abuse to secure a stable, independent future. Both funds are available to people with no recourse to public funds who are experiencing domestic abuse. 

The following one-off payments are available to anyone over the age of 16 years old:

  • Flee fund - a person who does not have the financial means to leave their abuser will be able to apply for a one-off payment of up to £500 for essential items such as groceries, nappies or support with new accommodation to help them and their children flee to safety
  • Future fund – a further one-off payment of up to £2,500 may be available to help secure a stable, independent future, such as putting down a deposit for rental accommodation

An application will need to be made to Women’s Aid through a network of local frontline services in England and Wales including organisations, helplines and caseworkers who have a specialist understanding of domestic abuse. Details of referral organisations, the full eligibility criteria, and information about the application process can be found on the Women’s Aid website

Information and advice for people experiencing domestic abuse 

The following organisations may be able to provide people with no recourse to public funds with general information and advice:

See also the government information about how to get help.

Support for Migrant Victims Scheme

The Support for Migrant Victims Scheme (SMV) may be able to provide safe accommodation for up to 12 weeks and other assistance to survivors of domestic or gender-related abuse who are destitute and have no recourse to public funds.

The scheme will give priority to 'survivors who do not currently have an established route to settlement although in some exceptional circumstances bridging support will be available to those who are otherwise eligible for the DDVC [now Migrant Victims of Domestic Abuse concession], asylum support, local authority or other state assistance'.

Referrals to the scheme need to be made by a council, third sector agency, or statutory body. 

For more information about the eligibility requirements and referral process, see the Southall Black Sisters website