Skip to main content
  1. 1. Overview
  2. 2. When will a family be eligible?
  3. 3. When does the exclusion apply?
  4. 4. What support can be provided?
  5. 5. How to make a referral


When a parent cannot access benefits and housing assistance due to having no recourse to public funds, their local council may have a duty to provide accommodation and financial support if their child is assessed as being in need by social services. 

Social services’ support is not classed as a public fund for immigration purposes and can be accessed by a person who is subject to the ‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF) condition. 

This section summarises when accommodation and financial support may be provided to a family with no recourse to public funds. Social workers and other council officers in England who are responsible for undertaking assessments and providing support to families with no recourse to public funds would need to refer to our detailed practice guidance.

Councils in Scotland can refer to the guidance published by COSLA: Migrants’ rights and entitlements guidance (Scotland).