Skip to main content
  1. 1. Overview
  2. 2. When will an adult be eligible?
  3. 3. When does the exclusion apply?
  4. 4. What support can be provided?
  5. 5. How to make a referral


When an adult cannot access benefits and housing assistance due to having no recourse to public funds, their local council may have a duty to provide accommodation and financial support if the adult is assessed as having care and support needs by social services. 

Social services’ support is not classed as a public fund for immigration purposes and can be accessed by a person who is subject to the ‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF) condition. 

This section summarises when accommodation and financial support may be provided by social services to an adult who has no recourse to public funds.

If an adult has been detained under the Mental Health Act 1983, accommodation may be available to them as part of their aftercare package. Read our information about mental health after care.

Social workers and other council officers in England who are responsible for undertaking assessments and providing support to adults with no recourse to public funds would need to refer to our practice guidance.

Councils in Scotland can refer to the guidance published by COSLA: Migrants’ rights and entitlements guidance (Scotland).