Skip to main content
  1. 1. Overview
  2. 2. Benefits that are public funds
  3. 3. Public funds - exceptions
  4. 4. Mixed households
  5. 5. EEA nationals and family members
  6. 6. Returning to the UK, benefit delays and sanctions
  7. 7. Benefits that are not public funds
  8. 8. Access to work
  9. 9. Cost of living support

Access to work

A person who is employed and has a disability, or physical or mental health condition, may be able to apply for Access to Work to get extra help in order to be able to carry out their job. Access to Work could include a grant to obtain additional practical support, such as a BSL interpreter or to pay for a taxi to work if the person cannot use public transport. It may also be possible to get mental health support. An Access to Work grant is available when a person is living and working in England, Scotland, or Wales. 

Access to Work is not a 'public fund' for immigration purposes and therefore can be accessed by a person who has permission to work and is subject to the No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) condition, if they meet the qualifying requirements. The Department for Work and Pensions staff guide on Access to Work states:

'15. Customers who have a work permit or a leave to remain status do not need to hold a British passport. They are allowed to work in the UK and receive support.
Note: These cases must be closely monitored. Where the leave to remain is time limited, AtW support must also be time limited and subject to review.

17. Customers who have been given leave to work in the UK but have ‘No recourse to public funds’ are still allowed to apply for AtW support.'

For further details about the type of support that can be provided and how to apply for a grant, see the government information about access to work