Skip to main content
  1. 1. Overview
  2. 2. When will an adult be eligible?
  3. 3. When does the exclusion apply?
  4. 4. What support can be provided?
  5. 5. How to make a referral

How to make a referral

A referral would need to be made to Adult Social Care in the council area where the person is ordinarily resident, or where they are present if they have no place of settled residence. The Council’s website will usually contain general information about how to make a referral to Adult Social Care. 

Any relevant physical or mental health conditions should be clearly set out in the referral, and, where possible, supported with medical evidence to demonstrate why a needs assessment is required.  Where possible, the referral should also contain any information that is known about the adult’s immigration status and the fact that they have, or are believed to have, no recourse to public funds, as well as any evidence that is available to confirm their homelessness or situation of destitution.

Some councils have established a specialist ‘No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) team’, which may sit within Adult Social Care, or in another department, such as Housing. Even where there is a specialist team, the referral route will usually be through Adult Social Care as a needs assessment will be required. Any specific referral arrangement for adults with no recourse to public funds may be available on the Council’s website. 

For a person who is living in a two-tier area with a county and district council, the referral should be made to the County Council (the social services authority).

If an adult with no recourse to public funds approaches their local housing authority then they are most likely to be refused assistance because they will be ineligible for homelessness assistance under the Housing Act 1996. In such instances, the person should be signposted or referred to an appropriate service for assistance, for example, the Home Office or social services.

Find a local council


Ordinary residence

Place where a person has voluntarily taken up residence for a settled purpose.