Skip to main content

11 years or under (tax-free childcare)

Parents who are working and have a child who is age 11 or under may be able to benefit from the government's Tax-Free Childcare scheme depending on their earnings. This scheme is available UK-wide and also applies to disabled children under 17.

The parent who applies will need to meet a residence requirement by having one of the following:

  • British or Irish citizenship
  • Settled or pre-settled status granted under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • A right to reside on 31 December 2020 if they are an EEA national or family member who qualifies to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021
  • A form of immigration permission that is not subject to the ‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF) condition, such as indefinite leave to remain or refugee leave

In two-parent households, only one parent needs to meet the residence requirement. For example, if one parent is a British citizen and the other parent has leave to remain with NRPF, then the British parent can make the application but both parents must meet the requirements relating to employment and earnings. As Tax-Free Childcare is not classed as a public fund for immigration purposes, a parent who has no recourse to public funds can be included in an application.

When a single parent or both parents have leave to remain that is subject to the NRPF condition then the parent(s) will not satisfy the residence requirement.

See the government information about the full eligibility requirements that the parent(s) must meet.