Who has 'no recourse to public funds' (NRPF)?

No recourse to public funds (NRPF) is a condition imposed on someone due to their immigration status. Section 115 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 states that a person will have ‘no recourse to public funds’ if they are ‘subject to immigration control’.

A person will be ‘subject to immigration control’ if they have:


Leave to enter or remain in the UK with the condition 'no recourse to public funds'*

Spouse visa, student visa, limited leave granted under family or private life rules

Leave to enter or remain in the UK that is subject to a maintenance undertaking

Indefinite leave to remain as the adult dependent relative of a person with settled status (five year prohibition on claiming public funds)

No leave to enter or remain when the person is required to have this

Visa overstayers, illegal entrants


*If a person has leave to enter or remain with the NRPF condition then this will be specified on their residence permit, entry clearance vignette or biometric residence permit (BRP), as it will say ‘no public funds’.

An example BRP with the NRPF condition (on reverse side):

If a person has valid leave to enter or remain and there is no reference to NRPF on their immigration documentation then it should be assumed that they do have recourse to public funds. 

Claiming a public fund when a person's immigration conditions prohibit this could affect their current status and future immigration applications. If a person has claimed a public fund when they might not have been entitled to do so then they should seek legal advice​ from an immigration adviser and a benefits adviser.

Note that this prohibition only applies to certain specified public funds, so a person with this condition is not prevented from accessing other publically funded services, including support from social services.

​​See also:

​Page updated 4 May 2017